He Said Ask Anything  

Posted by Tami in , , , ,

[You Found Me, The Fray]

I just returned from a lovely date with my sexy husband.  We discovered that our local Starbucks has this sweet upstairs area with couches and chairs and such that not everyone knows about so you can actually sit and talk without 56,000 people crowding you out.  At this moment he is repacking our awesome new Cuisinart because it doesn't work.  I discovered, the hard way (aka with a bunch of onions and garlic already in the prep bowl to be chopped up), that when you turn it on nothing happens... other than outlets blow.  Good thing we have little circuit breakers on our outlets, so it didn't affect our wider electrical system.  So it's a bummer that it's defective, but the sweet thing is that there is a KILLER deal at Macy's today, so we get to have a refund for our 7-cup processor and get the 11-cup processor for the same price as the 7-cup on sale.  We are saving $180 and paying $99.  Sweet deal, if you ask me.  Go Macy's.

Ooooh, I just realized that I have a $30 Macy's gift card left over from our wedding *ahemthatoccurred15monthsago* so we'll end up saving even more.  Ah, good deals.  How I love them.

My oral surgery follow-up went well, btw.  I'm healing nicely.  It was just so extensive that it takes time.  My pain is manageable with ibuprofen and I have a syringe to irrigate the wounds... now it's just a matter of being patient, keeping on with the saltwater rinses, and accepting that having my mouth sliced open hurts and takes time to heal.  Go figure.

But none of you really care about dates and food processors and oral surgery right now, do you?  Because, if you are at all attentive, you remember that today I met with the best bariatric surgeon in the Pac NW (if you don't know what Pac NW means I sort of disown you) and you are eagerly anticipating details.  Well, here you go-- I'm sure I'll be long winded, but you love me for it.  Get a glass of water and settle in for the ride.

One thing I have been kind of battling with is the fact that there is a more extreme surgery than gastric bypass called the duodenal [pronounced doo-odd-in-uhl] switch (I'll shorten it to DS for future use).  It's the same idea- shrinking the stomach and bypassing a section of the intestines; the DS is just far more extensive.  For the truly curious, here are two diagrams; just click on each link to see drawings that represent each procedure:

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass

Duodenal Switch

As you can see, the DS just does way more.  I've been torn, because the DS has better numbers as far as excess weight loss.  I'm not sure it's covered by insurance (they couldn't give me a straight answer but most insurances consider it "experimental" and refuse to cover it until there is more data) and I know Dr. Chebli doesn't perform the DS.  Once again, I prayed for wisdom from Jesus, that we'd walk away from the appointment sure of what to do.  Once again, Jesus totally answered my prayer.

We are sticking with gastric bypass and Dr. Chebli.  He said that the DS does have better numbers, because it's so drastic that for some patients who are set on failure (aka eating horribly and not exercising) the surgery wins.  The body simply cannot absorb enough nutrients to gain a lot of weight.  Also, he is very much on top of expertise in the WLS arena and he wouldn't recommend me to anyone in the Pac NW- the only two surgeons he trusts enough to recommend by name are located in Miami and Washington, D.C.  DS requires very close lifelong follow-up with the actual surgeon and I would have to make multiple trips- dozens in the initial year- to the surgeon.  It's just not feasible for us.

So here's the cool thing- Dr. Chebli was very careful not to be a salesman.  He was honest about the benefits of DS, that it could have better results for me, since my BMI is 57.  That said, his RNY (an abbreviation for the proper name of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass) numbers are similar to most DS numbers for other surgeons because his program is really that good.  He is very careful in screening, to make sure patients are really ready to commit to the life changes, and the support before and after surgery is unmatched by most programs around the nation.  He didn't say that- I know that from the research I have done.  That's why he's the best of the best.

Also, if I'm really honest with myself, having a surgery that wins when I am intentionally undisciplined would be VERY bad for me.  I need a full change- spiritual, psychological, emotional, and physical.  No shortcuts- WLS in general is a tool, but not a shortcut.  I know that if I commit to the work required I will be successful, and that Dr. Chebli's program is the best option for me.  So that is settled- pursuing RNY I am.

Yoda is still family related.

The other big take away from the apt. is that the pre-surgery requirements will be a LOT of work.  Seriously. I will do a vlog , hopefully later tonight, about everything I need to get done.  Various tests, studies, procedures, and tons of records gathering shall ensue in the upcoming months.  And I need to lose 18.4 pounds and be on a low-carb diet (30g of carbs a day... that's VERY few for those who are not carb conscious!  There are 13g in an 8oz glass- 1 serving- of milk!) to help reduce the fattiness and size of my liver.  I found out why- if my liver is too large, and thus in the way, Dr. Chebli would have to switch from a laparoscopic procedure- a few small holes to insert instruments, cameras, etc, with a very short recovery time- to an open procedure- where he cuts me open with a large incision and thus drastically increases the health risks (greater chance of infection, etc) and recovery time.

So... overall, the appointment went really well.  My one slight concern is this- I have to provide medical proof of obesity spanning back five years in order for insurance to approve my surgery.  There is a zero percent chance that they'll renege on this requirement.  Insurance companies are trying to make money, after all.  If I can only provide evidence dating back 3 years, for example, insurance can put off my surgery 2 years and hope that I either change my mind, lose weight w/o surgery (thus w/o payment from them), or am no longer on their coverage.

The deal is, 5 years ago I was a junior in college and rarely went to the doctor.  And, sadly, when I did visit the health center for a cold I don't ever remember being weighed.  I know I was obese- I was 290 pounds in June of 2003, which I know because of a scale in my home. I'm just not sure that I have medical records to prove it.

I'm not going to stress- I will trust in Jesus.  If this surgery is right for me, He is God, He is in control, and He'll work out the details.  I can stress out about it, but I don't need to, because stressing won't change a thing.  I can trust God that if these details don't work out then He knows what's best.  That said, I am praying to Jesus that this is His will and that He'll work it out.  I will do my work, gathering every shred of medical evidence and preparing diligently.  Beyond that it's in His hands.  That said, if you are one who prays I certainly appreciate your prayer support!

Overall, things are on the right path.  I'll go post a vlog now with more details re: pre-requirements for surgery, and I'll edit this post when I'm done to include the link and embedded video.  And my in-depth and lengthy post I promised is still in progress, so worry not!

Aight, here's the link and below is the embedded vlog for your lazy viewing pleasure.



Hasta, kids.

This entry was posted on Friday at Friday, December 05, 2008 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 battle cries

Post a Comment