I Would Marry Myself If I Could.  

Posted by Tami in , ,

Ok, not really.  But tonight's dinner was AMAZING.

I've made this before, though I can't find any posts and/or pictures, but this is one of my best- at least favorite- dishes!  I always just call it "thai dish".  So... here we go.

First picture-- the ingredients.

As you can see, I used lime juice, peanuts, coconut milk, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, frozen OJ concentrate, scallions, a white onion, ginger, and garlic.  Not pictured are the spices (curry, a touch o' cloves, cumin, salt and pepper), the peanut butter, the rice, the brown sugar, the tamari sauce (a gluten-free soy sauce, basically) and the chicken.  Almost all of the ingredients are organic, save for the sesame oil, brown sugar, chicken, and peanut butter.  We're like that ;)

Second picture-- a quick trick to not spend 15 years chopping garlic and ginger:

Thanks to Guy Fieri (LOVE the Food Network!), I learned a trick to prepping ginger- you scrape the outer skin off using the back of your knife.  This is so smart, because I usually try to trim off the skin by cutting it with my knife and waste as much ginger as I actually use- and it takes FORever!  Anyway, I just tossed in some ginger and garlic chunks into my sweet mini-prep processor and chopped 'em up.  Fast and easy!


So here's what I did for the whole recipe:

First, my husband makes PERFECT rice, so he made the rice- just normal, with a lid on the stove top.  The only special thing I did was add about 1 1/2 TB of the OJ concentrate to the rice as it cooked.  It just added a little bit of extra flavor to the rice.

While the rice cooked away, I heated a couple TB of canola oil over med-hi heat.  Then I added in the chicken (cut into small cubes- I like to cut it up small because it cooks faster and you feel like there's more chicken when you get some with every bite... at least, we feel that way!) and ginger / garlic.  After about three minutes I added the red pepper flakes (about 1/2 ts), and a TB each of the curry and cumin, then just a teeny pinch of the cloves.  I sort of forgot to put the onions in at this point, though I was supposed to.  I put them in after adding the brown sugar, tamari sauce, a splash of lime juice, a touch of the frozen OJ concentrate, and the peanut butter.  After all of that meshed together (still over medium-hi heat) I added the coconut milk.  I let the flavors meld for about 10 minutes over low heat as I chopped up some peanuts and fresh scallions (green onions).

So...


At long last, the final product-- so good!

As you can see, I put the sauce over the rice, and sprinkled the scallions and peanuts over the top.  Again... SO GOOD!

We have leftovers that we are able to take to our community group tomorrow night, since this meal was completely gluten free!  Such is our life- and if you've been reading my posts from the last week, you can see that the gluten free life really is so bad :)  Oh, and if you ever want to try out a recipe from one of my foode creations, just let me know.  I'm not the best at measuring... I just go by sight and taste.  

I hope you enjoyed this foray into our culinary pleasures.  For now I must stop staring at the computer screen and watch me some Gossip Girl and How I Met Your Mother :)

Hasta, kids!

This entry was posted on Monday at Monday, December 08, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 battle cries

I think your true calling is to have a cooking show. I would watch it! Looks SOOOO good (and its only 5am;)

December 9, 2008 at 5:35 AM
Anonymous  

This looks sooooo good. Great pics, now I'm hungry, lol.

December 9, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Sounds similar to a thai dish I make, although mine is more similar to a panang or massaman curry. Do you use thai brand curry paste? I found that it tastes better than other options, although I don't know if it contains gluten. I also add fish sauce to mine...a weird trick, but it really makes the dish! I've been trying to perfect it over the past year, and I'm pretty darn close!

December 10, 2008 at 9:00 AM

Post a Comment